Saturday, February 25, 2017

My Plant-Based Diet Journey Week 4

At five weeks eating a plant-based diet, I've lost 11 1/2 pounds!  It's going great and I'm really enjoying it.  Be sure to check out the video below.

 

At our class this week, we learned about gut health.  Here are a few things we learned:

1. Eating a high-fat diet, reduces the number of good "bugs" we have in the gut.

2. We can strengthen our immune systems by getting out in nature and getting our hands dirty.  We should also "mindfully" use anti-bacterial products.

3. Eat fermented foods like pickles, sauerkraut, Kefir, Kimchi, and miso.

Two new things I discovered this week:

Earth Balance Organic Whipped Buttery Spread
Tofutti Sour Cream




 



Here's a recipe for a fantastic Veggie Sandwich:
Sliced tomato
Sliced cucumber
Avocado
Scallions
Topped with salt and Lemon infused olive oil and herb infused balsamic


Get your own amazing infused olive oil and balsamic vinegar from Verde Valley Olive Oil Traders:  http://www.vvoliveoil.com/

Here's some suggestions for eating out:


From Pita Jungle:
Cilantro Jalapeño Hummus with pita and cucumber slices
Dolmades (grape leaves wrapped around a rice/tomato mixture)

Mexican Food:
Burrito Enchilada Style topped with Pico De Gallo
(Be sure the refried beans and enchilada sauce don't have animal fat in them.)

Here's the recipe for some really great chocolate candy they made for us on Valentine's Day:


Dark Chocolate Bark with Walnuts
From Hormel Cancer Institute
Ingredients:
2 Tbs. crystallized ginger
1 ½ cups (6 oz.) walnut pieces (or substitute pumpkin and sunflower seeds for nuts)
1 cup dried cranberries
9 oz. bittersweet chocolate
 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Line a baking sheet pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
3. Coarsely chop the walnut pieces and then place them on a baking sheet.
4. Toast the walnuts for about 8 minutes in the oven or until they are golden and fragrant. Let cool.
5. Finely chop the crystallized ginger and coarsely chop the cranberries (this will get sticky).
6. Add both to the baking sheet and spread all over the nuts.
7. Set a double boiler on the stove with a pot of water about 1/3 full and a glass mixing bowl big enough to fit
over the pot of water without touching the water.
8. Get the pot of water barely simmering, put chocolate in to the mixing bowl and melt the chocolate until very
smooth.
9. Take melted chocolate and pour onto the walnut pieces, ginger, and cranberries in a nice, even layer.
10. Put baking sheet in the refrigerator. Refrigerate the chocolate walnut concoction for 10 minutes or until
cool.
11. To serve, take the chocolate out, and break into medium sized pieces giving it a tree “bark” appearance.


Tune in next week for more great recipes and resources!

4 comments:

  1. Hi Jennifer. This blog post is excellent. I wish I could be part of the study but I'm not employed by NAU or FMC. I have tried to send you an email but the system keeps bouncing them back to me. I also left a comment on your blog a couple of weeks ago but I didn't see a response on the blog. I think you are doing a beautiful job with your blog and your videos. I have questions, as always, so I sent an email to your mom to get your email address. I'm sorry that the email on your site isn't working.

    Take care and keep up the great posts.

    Marianna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Or maybe it's me and my computer that has a mind of its own and it's more powerful than my brain. New iMac coming soon to a blog close to you.

      Delete
  2. Hi Marianna! It's so good to hear from you! When someone comments on a blog post, I usually get an email letting me know. I'm typically really good about responding to comments, so I'm sorry you've had a hard time connecting with me. How did you find my blog? You can send me an email at JensLittleGreenFarmhouse@gmail.com. Hope you're doing well! xxoo --Jennifer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank for the good topic,Thanks for your sharing.

    โคนัน

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Those advertisements will be identified as paid advertisements.

The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner's. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.