Wednesday, December 14, 2016

Birdseed Ornaments


Here's a fun, simple craft that results in a nice treat for your backyard feathered friends.



To get started, you need birdseed, unflavored gelatin, cookie cutters, wax paper, and yarn/string/twine.


Begin by boiling a 1/3 cup of water.  Dissolve one packet of gelatin in the water and then add 1 cup of birdseed.  Mix and let sit for 5 minutes.  Then stir again.  If there is still liquid in the bottom of the bowl, add a little more birdseed and stir again.


Place cookie cutters on a cookie sheet lined with wax paper. Pack the birdseed into cookie cutters.  Part way through, lay a length of yard across the form.  Then pack more birdseed on top.  Refrigerate overnight.


Pop the ornaments out of the cookie cutters and allow to dry for several days on a rack.


I'm giving sweet treats and one of these to each family on our street.  I think these will make a fun little addition to the gift.
 

Blog Hops I participate in:


 

12 comments:

  1. Love these kind of crafts that bless the birds. I have 15 red cardinals in our backyard area the other day, it was awesome! Looking forward to hearing more about your green farmhouse. Sounds fun!

    Carole @ Garden Up Green

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute! I saved this to my "Christmas" Pinterest board.
    Blessings, Leigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super easy to make, too! Thanks for stopping by at Little Green Farmhouse.

      Delete
  3. Aw these are lovely - I have never thought of making them with gelatine but I imagine it is less messy than melted fat. #WasteLessWednesday

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this idea. I'll have to make it with my little. I think she'll love it! Thanks for sharing on the Waste Less Wednesday Blog Hop!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great idea for any bird lover! I think I will be making these this winter and giving them to neighbors. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were such a big hit with all my neighbors and the birds, too!

      Delete
  6. Jennifer, I bought a few of these from a craft sale and took one when I visited my grandson. We hung it up together and he was so excited. I'm pinning this to make more in the future--thanks for sharing! Blessings, Cecilia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so easy to make, too! They were a big hit with all the neighbors. :)

      Delete
  7. What a th oughtful and lovely gift to give. You have turned them into little ornaments for the birds. Pinning.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very helpful suggestions that help in the optimizing topic,Thanks for your sharing.

    โคนัน

    ReplyDelete

Disclaimer

This blog is a personal blog written and edited by me. This blog accepts forms of cash advertising, sponsorship, paid insertions or other forms of compensation.

The compensation received will never influence the content, topics or posts made in this blog. All advertising is in the form of advertisements generated by a third party ad network. Those advertisements will be identified as paid advertisements.

The views and opinions expressed on this blog are purely the blog owner's. If we claim or appear to be experts on a certain topic or product or service area, we will only endorse products or services that we believe, based on our expertise, are worthy of such endorsement. Any product claim, statistic, quote or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer or provider.